OVERVIEW: The Mechanical Engineer provides expertise and support in a variety of areas including:
- Being a Mechanical Engineer, adhering to company, department, and client standards and procedures, and having a general understanding of required mechanical design drafting.
- Following procedures and collaborating to prepare design deliverables that meet project requirements under general supervision of Senior Mechanical Engineers.
- Remaining continually vigilant in finding opportunities to improve quality and efficiency.
- Using data from structural and electrical disciplines, as well as client and vendor information sources to prepare mechanical design.
- Performing, with guidance mechanical calculations, flow sheet and P&ID development, plant equipment and systems design, specifications, equipment bid packages, piping and related equipment design, duct and chute design, HVAC system design, and field work for information gathering and scanning.
- Developing a basic understanding of best practices in the Heavy Industrial and Minerals Processing Industries.
- Demonstrating a basic knowledge of MSHA and OSHA Regulations as they pertain to the plants we serve.
- Working hand in hand with designers toward completion of construction documents and having a working knowledge of Revit.
- Developing knowledge of mechanical materials, construction methods, and applicable building codes, including but not limited to ASME, Industrial Ventilation Guidelines, and CEMA Standards.
- Developing a basic understanding of the process for the industries we serve to effectively communicate design options and challenges with the owner, suppliers, and contractors.
REPORTS TO: Chief Mechanical Engineer
- Proactively communicate and coordinate design work within the department, and with other disciplines, and with external stakeholders such as clients and vendors.
- Act as a mechanical Lead for small projects.
- Work on 1-2 project designs simultaneously and meet strict deadlines.
- Have a positive attitude and interact confidently and professionally with clients.
- Actively participate and contribute to project and interdepartmental meetings to facilitate successful completion of projects and to meet customer expectations and needs.
- Have awareness of assigned project budgets, schedules, and scopes.
- Strive to increase efficiency in all aspects of mechanical design.
- Participate in project SMACCTM reviews.
- Understand and apply concerns of safety, maintenance, accessibility, constructability, and coordination.
- Learn and evaluate new design software as well as develop company use of current design software.
- Conduct terrestrial laser scanning site visits, and review and discuss project concepts with owner.
- Register point clouds.
- Develop flow sheets.
- Assist in preparation of construction documents and design deliverables.
- Size mechanical equipment with direction.
- Work with other disciplines.
- Create and modify 3D models for design work.
- Issue and record drawing submittals and revisions, and Requests for Information.
- Participate at monthly Autodesk User Group meetings.
- Perform mechanical calculations and construction documents prepared by yourself or others for errors, omissions, and adherence to company standards.
- Provide feedback in the development of mechanical drafting and design standards and new production methods to improve the company’s best practices, efficiency, and consistency.
- Identify, communicate, and explore solutions to design challenges, conflicts, and clashes.
- Be capable of developing proficiency in the use of Revit and AutoCAD. Some CAD background preferred.
- Have or be able to effectively develop knowledge in the use of Excel, Belt Analyst, Pipeflo, and other calculation software.
- Develop an understanding of equipment best practices.
- Develop basic knowledge of structural design and equipment support practices.
- Continuously update and expand knowledge of the mechanical field as well as knowledge of client processes and facilities.
- Assist in material take-offs for development of construction quantity estimates.
- Perform vendor drawing coordination to ensure design intent is met.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical preferred).
- Engineer In Training strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills with an understanding of teamwork and the requisite ability to coordinate work with internal and external project stakeholders.
- Strong organization skills to effectively manage time and resources in the most efficient manner. The ability to multi-task on several projects and adapt to changing scope and deadlines. Diligent taking of notes during project discussions. Efficient and organized email communications.
- Commitment to maintaining the company’s professional image and reputation with timely, error free, accurate deliverables, which meet or exceed clients’ expectations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Generally, the position requires proficient computer skills with extended periods of six to eight hours sitting and entering data into a computer with intense attention to detail.
- Some travel may be required. Site conditions will vary, but can be in facilities with high heat, excessive noise, and accumulated dirt and dust. Site visits can also include walking over uneven surfaces, climbing stairs or ladders, and bending and stooping to examine progress or status of work, or to adjust settings to field devices or equipment.
- Occasional lifting on the job is generally limited to moving computers, scanners, hand tools, meters, and manuals or files whose length and size cause them to be clumsy to move around, and whose weight is usually under 50 lb. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made.